6.09.2010

Going to the chapel and I'm gonna get....NOT!

"Guys: a word of advice. Marry pretty women or ugly ones. Short ones or tall ones. Blondes or brunettes. Just, whatever you do, don't marry a woman with a career."

I read the above statement in an op-ed on the Forbes website one day. The columnist states in his article that women with careers are more likely to get divorced than those who work inside the home. Then, they defined the definition of a "career girl:" She has more than a high school diploma, works outside the home more than 35 hours per week and makes above $30,000 per year.  I'm not knocking the opinion.  In fact, statistically, it is probably true. But, is the reason really that the women have careers and are ambitious or is the point more that we are in a borderline recession, or that couples are trying to juggle careers, kiddos, bills, and staying happy in their marriage? 

Times are tough...even for the single girl. I have often wondered if my independence throws guys off.  Probably not. It's probably more my tendency to be co-dependent, the extra hormones God lavished upon me that makes me cry at the most unexpected moments, and my need for perfection. Just kidding...sort of. Seriously though, I sometimes feel like the older I get, the more set in my ways I become, and the more my career progresses, the less likely I am to find a guy who appreciates all of those things. As it so happens, I am actually really enjoying those all of those things, but I wonder if it makes me less of a hot commodity. Or, maybe it's the exact opposite.  Maybe it's actually helping me weed out the guys who would never have appreciated those things in the first  place. I really like that thought! It has taken about ten or so years to get there, but I think I finally am starting to believe all my friends and family ,who, during breakups told me "he was never good for you anyway," or "you will find someone who really appreciates you." 

So, I guess the point if this rant and my reference to the article is that I am okay with people like the journalist who say that men should steer clear of successful women.  I will always want to be ambitious, independent and a bit stubborn. I will debate you respectfully, rationalize unrational points, and pump my own gas. I'll still allow you to get my drink, pull out my chair and hold the door open for me, however.  There are just some gentlemanly gestures you can't turn down.

No comments:

Post a Comment