12.29.2010

NYE...and resolutions...and stuff...

It is definitely that time of year again. Honestly, it kind of snuck up on me. Christmas came and I got lost in the magic of this time of year. I've never been one for New Year's resolutions, really. I guess I've kind of jokingly made them...but almost never kept them. Last year it was to become more financially responsible and save more money. Didn't really happen. I've done the lose weight, exercise, become healthy routine. Didn't really happen. So, instead of a definite goal that I will hate myself for if I don't keep, I think I'm going to do something a little different this year.

I'm going to make a bucket list. Actually, i've kind of already started it. I have like 37 things on it already. Reading over them, I feel like a lot of them are just necessary life improvements, i.e. "learn not to cry so much over the little things." Seriously though, I am the biggest crybaby ever. I don't know how my tear resevoir hasn't dried up yet. I cry at commercials, reading books, listening to songs, over fights with friends/family, over fights between friends/family...and many other mundane life occurences. I cried once because my flower died! I didn't water it and I cried. Okay, so some of those are silly things that it doesn't really matter if I cry over them or not. However, instead of stressing out over little things and getting upset (and instigating the crying); I want to learn to channel it into something else...preferably productive, like exercise or creating something. I do like to bake and that is an outlet for me...it's jsut not that great for my hips.

Anyway, I got off topic a bit. I guess maybe my bucket list can be whatever I want it to be. I don't want to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro or swim the ocean, so mine are more self improvement topics. Plus, a few adventurous ideas like jumping out of a plane, visiting every continent, going on an African Safari...and a few more minor ones like taking a photography class and actually becoming decent at it, writing a book (yes, I realize it will likely never be published and that I will be the only one to read it and that it will be riddled with typos - I just feel like I have been through a lot (good and bad) in my life and I have a lot to say about it), and owning my own business. I will put a complete list on here when I get it edited fully.

The main thing I want for myself though? To not beat myself up if I don't complete every goal, resolution or bucket list item. I have to learn I have a life to live and it's not in the future. It's right now. Today is all that really matters. I'm going to take advantage of that. One day (hopefully soon) I want to be able to relate to this quote...

"Having spent the better part of my life trying either to relive the past or experience the future before it arrives, I have come to believe that in between these two extremes is peace." ~Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. "No day but today" from one of my favorite musicals, Rent

    And April dearest, I will read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should try making your Bucket List at www.theonlinebucketlist.com! it's really fun and easy to use! plus you can even make events with your friends to accomplish some of your goals together!

    ReplyDelete